There were a lot of things I loved about this activity. The chance to shine and share are just two of them.
Whenever you have a Talent Show, you run the risk of girls not wanting to participate because maybe they are too nervous or they feel like they don’t have a “talent” to display. Keep that in mind. A solution might be to invite the girls to share a talent with a family member so they are not on their own. Or perhaps a parent could help them talk about what they are good at. Try to identify those that might not feel comfortable and encourage them with a different way to participate. Talk to the parent about it to see if they can help make the experience a positive one.
When you walked into this perfectly simple set-up, the first thing you saw was this display of double-sided frames (found at IKEA) with a quote on one side and my favorite thing on the other: a reason why each girl was FABULOUS. They found the printables to make these frames here at www.swtblessings.com – just click on “printables” then on “school signs.” You’ll see the “talents” quote first then scroll down to find the “you are fabulous” card.
Moms were invited to this event. They started it off with a short lesson about Spiritual Gifts.
1. We are showcasing some visible talents tonight but those aren’t the most important talents that we have. Our spiritual gifts are special talents that come from our Heavenly Father to bless our lives and the lives of others.
2. “Gifts of the Spirit” List found here. Gifts of The Spirit List
Every mom/daughter was given one to look at. Ask: What are gifts of the Sprit? Look over the list of spiritual gifts and talk it over with your moms….do you have any of these gifts or would you like to have any of these gifts?
3. After a few minutes, ask them to share if they have any or would like to have any. The girls recognized many gifts that they had on this list – lots of things they were good at (which is an amazing lesson in itself).
4. Challenge: find something on this list that you want to work on and develop in your life.
5. Why do we have spiritual gifts? – (girls answered) Heavenly Father gives us the gifts to help us and to help others, to make us unique and different. D&C 46:26 “All these gifts come from God, for the benefit of the children of God.”
6. Moroni 10:17 “All these gifts come by the Spirit of Christ; and they come to every man severally, according as he will.” – we are given lots of talents!
7. Review challenge to seek spiritual gifts and develop them.
Each girl was asked to share a talent – it could be anything. Some played a musical instrument. Some showed artwork. A couple shared their needlework. They could have done a soccer trick or recited a poem or displayed their talent – whatever works.
A member of the bishopric then gave a short message about Heber J. Grant who wanted to sing in the choir when he was young. He wasn’t very good at singing. In fact, he was so bad at it that they asked him not to participate. But President Grant did something – he decided to work at it to develop that talent. We all can do the same with spiritual gifts and other talents we have. We can work at them and improve them. He invited the girls to especially work on the spiritual gift of listening – to their parents and other mentors who could help them succeed because they could see the path a little better.
What talent show is complete without some popcorn? This popcorn bar was so fun for the girls and the adults were definitely taking their share, too!
Tip: our local movie theater will give church groups a discount on movie popcorn if you call ahead and ask for it. They just want us to bring in a garbage bag and they’ll fill it for the price of 3 medium popcorns. What??? That’s a lot of popcorn for not a lot of price!